For me, this is one of the most beautiful parts of my two parishes; it feels very rural and that rubs off on a person. Folk greet you as they do in a village: open and ready to make your acquaintance.
When you're on foot, life has to slow down, take longer, become grounded in the place. In my normal, too busy life, this would be somewhere I would have to take a car because of the pressures of time - I would speed through it but not be part of it. I would miss the point; the place, the belonging, the earth-ing. Too often we are rushing into the future and barely experiencing the present - and we're missing the point and missing God, too - because we can only encounter God in the present moment; as the present is the only real time.
My walk today took me over the old railway track, down the other side of the viaduct and along Wilden Lane, up Bigbury Lane (which is steep on foot!) at the top of the lane, I turned left and walked around the small estate made up of Wiveldon Avenue, Watchtower Road and The Slad. (I wondered whether the Jehovah's Witnesses had a base in Watchtower Road but figured it was probably named for a completely different reason). Then I went back onto Wilden Top Road and headed off towards Hartlebury Road - when I got there, I ceremoniously stopped to take a photo of the parish boundary before making my way down Hartlebury Road and into Wilden Lane then back onto the old railway line to home.
24th March is a special day for me and one that stirs a whole batch of complicated feelings inside me. It is the anniversary of the murder of Archbishop Oscar Romero, from El Salvador; a tiny country in Central America whose people have endured a brutal and oppressive history ever since the conquistadores 'discovered' the Americas. Romero is something of a hero for me. He started off as a safe bet for the post of Archbishop; Rome's man, the State's man but he had his eyes opened to the ruthless brutality of the state (who were aided by the US) and took a stand. He spoke up, he defended his people through non violent direct action and they loved him! Of course, he was a threat and it was only a matter of time before they came for him. He was shot dead while preaching at Mass in a hospital chapel this day in 1980. But it didn't stop there; the people were so courageous and rather than being subdued by his death, they were inspired to work all the harder for justice. It cost many their lives - including some who were shot at his funeral in San Salvador. Had it not been for the death of Romero, I would not have known El Salvador existed. It was the beginning of my passion for justice, peace and integrity.
El Salvador is still struggling to find real peace and justice through genuine democracy but it is much further down that road than it was and no small part of that is thanks to the example, leadership and sacrifice of Oscar Romero, as well as the countless, brave women and men he worked with. Back in the 70s and 80s the people were like sheep led out to be slaughtered and left on death mounds. Today, 31 years after the slaying of their shepherd, I pray that they will be sheep who may safely graze.
No comments:
Post a Comment