From here on, it was possible to do the walk almost seamlessly with very little doubling back. I won't name all the roads because it would end up as a long list but I wandered up and down those leading off Brindley Street before entering Windermere Way, past Burlish Park Primary School
and heading around all those places named after stretches of water in the Lake District (can you tell I watch Qi when I don't call them 'lakes'?!) Windermere Way led me into Kingsway and the names then included some from Lakes and dams in Wales.

and heading around all those places named after stretches of water in the Lake District (can you tell I watch Qi when I don't call them 'lakes'?!) Windermere Way led me into Kingsway and the names then included some from Lakes and dams in Wales.
Lake Llangorse is one of my favourite spots, so I indulged in a photo! I wonder how many people who live there have actually visited the lake....and those in Elan Avenue; have they been to the Elan Valley, I wonder? Such a beautiful place created out of flooding a Welsh valley and evicting the villagers in order to provide water for Birmingham. Now it's a stunning nature reserve!
The weather was dry but blustery and the wind chased dark clouds across the sky. It felt exhilirating to walk in the cool wind. I saw the variety of architecture that has created our larger housing estates over the decades. 
Always, the backdrop of hills and fields was never far away.
Life was carrying on as normal around me; I was making a pilgrimage but invisibly. People sat in the hairdressers, young people made their way home from the High School, cats slept on the driveways and gardens, people played rounds of golf and dogs were taken for walks on Burlish Top and through the woods alongside Kings Way. I walked and walked and walked.
On and on, with the wind still encouraging my pace, I made my way through some of the most beautiful parts of Stourport.
Finally civilisation began to be a reality again, gently, firstly the allotments
No comments:
Post a Comment