It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon when I set out to cover what I thought of as 'The Lickhill Stretch' of my walk. I felt tired and emotional on that particular morning; somehow the introspection of Lent - facing my internal life in the cold light of day - and the approach of Holy Week with it's sad and frightening story had found their way into my blood and thought streams; my story and Jesus' story finding parallels. BUT I really wanted to do my walk. Although I started with Tan Lane, Vernon Road, Gibbons Crescent and Badger's Walk, it did become about walking up Lickhill Road and back down, with many detours down streets on the way.
People were out in their gardens, tending plants, washing cars or simply sitting and soaking up the sunshine. I confess, I do like to look at people's gardens as I walk and this ramble has given me plenty of opportunity to do just that!

I hadn't seen a monkey puzzle tree in ages! What a specimen!

Raised beds and

a lovely flower display!
Exquisite aubretia!
The walk alongside the caravan park, past Lickhill Manor and up the hill was so beautiful! The scenery and the sound and sight of people enjoying themselves.


Back on Lickhill Road, I made my way past a little girl blowing bubbles and on into the park, where young people played ball games and a family cycled together. And on the other side of the park, the new and impressive building for Stourport Primary School is taking shape!
Then up Park Avenue to head off home once more, reinvigorated, inspired and with a sense of achievement and satisfaction as my aching legs carried me and I acknowledged that the aching heart with which I had set out, had now found some peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment