Eva McIntyre

Eva McIntyre

Saturday, 23 April 2011

There and back again

I've been very tardy writing up the last three entries for my blog! It's such a busy time in the Church with all sorts of exciting things going on, so I've stored the photos and waited for a moment to share the experience of these three walks.



There and back again refers to going up and down the Worcester Road and ever so slightly repeating bits in order to cover all the ground. This was the only time I did the walk from a starting point that was marked by parking the car; I had come back from Bell's Farm Shop and thought it would make sense. It did make logical sense but it didn't satisfy in quite the same way as the other walks for all of which I set out from home. Still, it's a lovely stretch of walk and I did enjoy it.












On my way around the housing estates, I did wonder why on earth landlocked Stourport had so many roads named after famous ships!



The contrast in this area was the very residential feel of the streets leading off Worcester Road, the functionality of the industrial estate, the holiday campsites and the wildness of Hartlebury Common.
A sort of microcosm for the life of our town exists in this area; tying together work, home and recreation.



I met two lovely ponies on this walk and was so glad to discover that I still had some polos in my pocket from a riding lesson! A sweet little grey and a charming gypsy cob.
And they were not only a delight in themselves but a wonderful symbol of the rich traveller and gypsy culture that is a part of Stourport's heritage. In this area of town, where we have a long standing traveller site, I am reminded of how vital it is to ensure that this traditional lifestyle continues - not just for those who choose to live it but for all of us. If it weren't for our traveller community, there would be no-one who lives 'differently' from the rest of us; no-one to challenge our preconceptions and values. No-one to remind us that we can never truly 'own' the land - it is our heritage and our responsibility from those ancient times when we all lived nomadic lifestyles.

There..................and back again...............



No comments:

Post a Comment